When is an accident RIDDOR reportable?

What is RIDDOR?

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR) puts duties on employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises (the Responsible Person) to report certain serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences (near misses) to the HSE. If someone has died or has been injured because of a work-related accident this may have to be reported. Not all accidents need to be reported, other than for certain gas incidents, a RIDDOR report is required only when:

  • the accident is work-related
  • it results in an injury of a type which is reportable

The HSE provides guidance to schools on incidents that need to be reported and this is generally based on:

  • who is injured
  • what is the injury
  • why the injury was caused

ProFire have produced a matrix document to follow which complements the HSE guidance and is available by emailing enquiries@pro-firesafety.co.uk.  Schools are responsible for reporting incidents involving their own staff, pupils or visitors. Incidents involving contractors working on school premises are normally reportable by their employers. Contractors could be, eg builders, maintenance staff, cleaners or catering staff. If a self-employed contractor is working in school premises and they suffer a specified injury or an over-seven-day injury, the person in control of the premises will be the responsible person.

Is my incident RIDDOR reportable?

In establishing whether an incident should be reported, the first key question to answer is who has been injured? The first category is:

People at Work

For employees or other persons working at the school the responsible person must record the incident in the following scenarios:

  • accidents which result in death or a specified injury* must be reported without delay
  • Accidents which accidents which prevent the injured person from continuing their normal work for more than seven days (not counting the day of the accident, but including weekends and other rest days) must be reported within 15 days of the accident.

Incidents of physical violence to a person at work, which result in death, a specified injury* or a person being incapacitated for more than 7 days must also be reported as RIDDOR, in the case of an over-seven-day injury, the incapacity must arise from a physical injury, not a psychological reaction to the act of violence. Examples of reportable injuries from violence include an incident where a teacher sustains a specified injury because a pupil, colleague or member of the public assaults them while on school premises. This is reportable, because it arises out of or in connection with work.

The responsible person must also report any case of a work-related disease, specified under RIDDOR, that affects an employee and that a doctor confirms in writing, more details on what specific diseases are covered can be found on the HSE website. Employers must also report occupational diseases when they receive a written diagnosis from a doctor that their employee has a reportable disease linked to occupational exposure.

If the accident meets one of these criteria, in a serious incident you would want to conduct an accident investigation, then you would need to report as a RIDDOR incident immediately.

What about accidents to pupils in a playground?

Most playground accidents due to collisions, slips, trips and falls are not normally reportable. Incidents are only reportable where the injury results in a pupil either being killed or taken directly to a hospital for
treatment. Either is only reportable if they were caused by an accident that happened from or in connection with a work activity. This includes incidents arising because:

  • the condition of the premises or equipment was poor, eg badly maintained play equipment; or
  • the school had not provided adequate supervision, eg where particular risks were identified, but no action was taken to provide suitable supervision.

Further guidance is available by emailing the team at enquiries@pro-firesafety.co.uk or at the HSE website.

Other posts you may be interested in…